Sefton Lodge, named after the 1873 Derby winner, is a significant racehorse training establishment in an unparalleled location. It immediately ajoins over 50 miles of chalk-based turf gallops and several all-weather surfaces owned and managed by Jockey Club Estates and accepted as amongst the best gallops in the world.
The property is believed to date from 1872 when the architect, William Young, designed the house for the racehorse owner C.J.Lefrevre, with additions after 1883 in a similar style for Caroline, Duchess of Montrose, a notable racehorse owner and patroness of horse racing . From 1905 to 1982 the property was owned by members of the Joel Family as a base for their horse racing interests in Newmarket.
Sefton Lodge has superb training facilities which includes 50 stables, trotting ring and horse walker. The yard has direct access to the Long Hill and Warren Hill canters for the majority of conditioning work and within a stone’s throw of the Limekilns which hosts some of the best chalk-based turf gallops in the world.
The yard has undergone a major refurbishment to bring the stables back to a modern, light and airy environment whilst maintaining the traditional well-planned and proven layout.